Flash Required to view this area.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Review: Asolo Fugitive GTX

I found out about Asolo, an Italian boot maker, from a good friends that lives and works as the Head Fly Fishing Guide at 4UR Ranch in Creede, Colorado. I was in need of a new pair of boots and hadn’t made up my mind as to whether i would stick with the trustworthy old Vasque’s I had known and loved for years with another pair or if I would venture in to the unknown. After some conversations with my buddy about the pros and cons to the Asolo’s he owned, I figured if they were good enough to live and work in at 9,000+ feet in the San Juan Range of southwest Colorado that they would undoubtedly perform well for me as well.
   So, I came back from that trip to Colorado on a mission: to find the boot that was right for me. We were living in Nashville at the time, so with a quick trip to the Brentwood REI, the Asolo Fugitive GTX’s were on my feet. Here are my thoughts after owning them for 3 years…

   WHY I LIKE THEM

I bought these boots in the fall of 2007, and just after three years of owning them and countless trips in them (whether day hikes or backpacking trips), I can honestly say that I love these boots. My previous pair of boots were the classic Vasque Sundowner…all leather…no bells and whistles. They are essentially the same design today as they were back in the 70s. They are classic, and I still own and love them. However, I wanted a boot that was a bit beefier, which may be the first draw back for some hikers. They weigh in over three pounds (for the pair), which may not seem like much, but that is 30% heavier than Sundowners I already owned.
    The soles and toe guards protect your feet from stumped toes and from wear and tear on both the boots themselves and your feet. Combine tough soles and hard rubber toe boxes with a stiff split-grain leather lower section, and you’ve got an amazing platform protecting two of your most precious commodities on the trail. The upper part of the boot is made almost entirely of tough nylon with increased fabric layering around the ankle… providing for the support I was looking for in a boot. Lets be honest, it doesn’t matter how sure footed you are…we all roll an ankle from time to time, and these guys have built in ankle braces.
   The Fugitive GTXs are water shedding machines. The Gore-Tex liner works wonders and the nylon outer layer is quick drying. Wet feet are killers on the trail and I haven’t had a single case of trench foot since I started hiking in these bad boys. The tongue is sewn in seamlessly with the rest of the boot in order to prevent any leak points. So whether its puddles, creek crossings, or a downpour of rain…these guys will keep you dry.
The uppermost part of the boot back and the tongue flap have a nylon mesh fabric on them that are both quick drying and highly breathable…which is great when you sweat as much as I do.

THINGS I WOULD CHANGE

   Truthfully, the only thing I would change about these boots is their factory insoles. I guess Italians have hobbit feet and/or they are incredibly flat footed (sorry for the broad generalization there). These are an easy, and pretty inexpensive way to provide a little better cushioning for the feet. I would especially recommend this switch if you have high arches. Personally, i use the High Volume Superfeet green insoles. You can usually find these at any local outdoor retailer.

OVERALL

My favorite part about these boots is that they are just downright tough. I have put them through everything from two days of rain and muddy trails in Alabama to rocky summit scrambles in Colorado at 14,000 feet and they haven’t let up yet; and they show no signs of needing a replacement anytime soon.
    If you want to pick up a pair of your own, I say you stop at your local outdoor store and support a small business. If that’s not an option, or you simply don’t have a decent store in your area, you can buy them online from REI.com. For me, they were true to size and the same as all my other shoes (they come in a Wide option if you have boxy feet). If you’re in the market for new boots, I hope this helps a little bit. I love these boots and I think you will too.

By Lee Cadden

Alaskan Ventures specializes in custom Alaska Backcountry Adventures.  Check us out at www.AlaskanVentures.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment