Flash Required to view this area.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Review: Vibram Five Fingers Trek Sport (First Impression)

 At Alaskan Ventures we like to review our gear in two stages.  First, when we purchase the gear we will write a "first impression" on the apparent quality and design.  Secondly, after a season of use we will write our follow up review on the actual performance.  Enjoy.....

 Okay, I finally broke down and bought a pair.  I made fun of them when they first came out, but like most things they grew on me! I was working out with my brother-in-law the other day and he brought out the new "Vibram Five Fingers Trek Sport" from his gym bag.  I couldn't take my eyes off of them!  He had the new Trek Sport which is super rugged and has a great traction sole.  I used my "REI" gift card and bought my own just two days later.
   First impression....LOVE EM'.  I didn't take them off for two straight days! My wife made me take them off before I got into bed only after I put up a fight!  I wanted to spend a lot of  time in them just to see if any sore spots developed.  No sores after two days of inside use--just pure comfort.  I wore them to the grocery store, and the way people were staring at my feet they must have thought I had major frost bite. 
Everyone asks, "Is it weird having something in between your toes?"  I have to say it feels quite normal and comfortable.  Something I really like is the thick, aggressive sole that seems to guard my feet well and provide excellent traction. They also have a 4mm raised arch which gives you added support--I like this a lot!
    I was anxious to try them outside and convinced myself that they must be insulated with some amazing state-of-the-art fabric.  I ventured outside in -5 degree weather and 12inches of snow, and unfortunately found out they would not be replacing my winter Pac boots.    So they have their limits...

For now they will have to be my gym shoes until spring comes and I can hit the trails. Overall, they seem to be of great quality and design!   I will keep you posted on how they perform this upcoming season!!


Update:
  It was a warm 25 degrees the other day, so I just had to try them out!  I ran in them for 3 miles and they felt great.  I could feel the previously unused muscles in my calves really working hard.  They felt very natural--almost like I was a kid again running around outside without shoes.  I do have to admit that I couldn't feel my toes when I returned home and re-warming them was very painful! Once again I conclude that these will not be my winter running shoes.

    Stay tuned for my second impression!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment